Creating user and student groups
Kelvin uses student and user groups in two primary ways:
- To deliver surveys to select groups
- To share results with select groups
As a result, it's important to understand how groups are created and how to manage which users belong to which groups. By default, Kelvin creates different groups for you out-of-the-box, but you can always create your own groupings to make the system your own.
What groups does Kelvin create automatically?
By default we create the following groups of students and users from the SIS (provided these are available in Clever).
- Gender (Male, Female, Non-binary)
- Grade levels
- District Admins
- School Admins
*Please note: Clever does not currently support any role types other than the three listed below. Any other groups like "School Counselor" or "Social Workers" etc. will need to be created in Kelvin.
Why would I create a custom group?
The creation of groups in Kelvin is useful for a variety of reasons.
- You want to monitor progress for a particular group of students that doesn't exist as a sub-group in your SIS. E.g. You might want to see the differences in students' perceptions of school climate/culture between the general population and your "Tier 2 Attendance" students.
- You want to share results or deliver surveys to staff members other than the three default groups of users (district admins, school admins, teachers). E.g. You might want to survey your "Classified Staff" to gain insights on their experience or only share a student survey's results related to mental health only with "School Counselors."
How do I create a custom group?
- As a system admin, select "settings" from the top-right account menu
Select " Add/remove users" (you are not a system administrator if you don't see this option).
Select the "Groups" tab
Select "+ New Group" and select the type (users vs. students)
Enter in the options (name, color, description) and hit "save"
The group has now been created. The system will default you to the next step, which is to add users. Select "+ Add Staff" or "+ Add Students" (depending on the type of group) in the top-left.
Add the users by entering their email and hit save.
These users have now been created and are available in the system.